A 26 minute documentary Directed by Corine Dhondee.

Executive Producer Christopher Hird.

Production Company Dartmouth Films.


In 1958 Duke Ellington met Queen Elizabeth II at a private reception to mark the bicentenary of Leeds Festival. The meeting inspired him to dedicate The Queen's Suite to her.


In 1959 one pressing was made and sent directly to Buckingham Palace. The suite, one of Ellington's most beautiful works, remained hidden from the public until after Ellington's death. In 1998 the Bob Wilber orchestra performed the Queen's Suite in Oldham.

Fifty years after Ellington wrote the suite, 27 year old Peter Edwards transcribes the suite from some scores and a record.


His dream is to perform the Queen's Suite to the Queen.



Thursday 8 July 2010

You make me SMILE


You sure do 'make me smile.'
I have a cheshire cat beam that starts from my toes and goes up to my nose.
Thank you for all of your support. There is one woman I'd like to say a particular thank you to. And no, it isn't my mum, who has supported me throughout the project. Thanks mum, big hugs and love.
No, it's Joan, also known as 'inflatables.'
There is always another story, and that is the making of the film.
A week and a half before the final weeks big shoot, I was in a panic. I didn't have an extra camera nor a camera person or any money to pay anyone. I had a rehearsal to shoot which needed two cameras, an interview, and a performance, which needed five cameras and camera people.
I was chatting about the lack of cameras online to a friend in Romania who suddenly said, 'George has a camera.' Within a few moments George was preparing to fly to England and I was talking to my flat-mate about the possibility of sharing her room.
Two days later Joan, or 'inflatables,' turned up with a rubber bed for me to sleep on. George stayed in my room, and my flat-mate's once 'shi-shi' room turned into a girl's dorm / production unit.
Filming took up all of the week, ending with a spectacular performance Saturday night, (for the performance the production company had hired four cameras, I had found three people to film, whilst a colleague worked as the sound recordist).
Sunday, George and I began to upload the tapes. The cameras were being collected at exactly 10.00 Monday morning. I had calculated that if we started uploading at 1400, (I had to buy another fire-wire), and I continued throughout the night then I could do it.
The problem I faced was not having anything to upload tapes with. Once the cameras were gone I would have to pay to hire out more equipment to upload. Being penniless and with deadlines coming the most obvious solution was to work through the night.
George and I started to upload the tapes. At 2300 I moved my mac into my flat-mate's room, next to my rubber bed, and continued to upload throughout the night. At 0700 I gave George a sleepy hug as he set off, back to Romania.
A few hours later, I had uploaded my tapes, the taxi came to collect the cameras, and George was on his flight home. I then returned to my room and said good-bye to the rubber bed, passing out for two days.
Joan thank you for the rubber-bed, Noams, thanks for the shared dorm, and George thanks for filming.
And everyone who has pledged, sent messages, and who have put the film out there thank you, because like I said 'you make me smile.'
The roses are holding, the fuschia pinks are sublime, and I am going to enjoy their display in the cooling night.
Until tomorrow, Corine.

No comments:

Post a Comment