A 26 minute documentary Directed by Corine Dhondee.

Executive Producer Christopher Hird.

Production Company Dartmouth Films.


In 1958 Duke Ellington met Queen Elizabeth II at a private reception to mark the bicentenary of Leeds Festival. The meeting inspired him to dedicate The Queen's Suite to her.


In 1959 one pressing was made and sent directly to Buckingham Palace. The suite, one of Ellington's most beautiful works, remained hidden from the public until after Ellington's death. In 1998 the Bob Wilber orchestra performed the Queen's Suite in Oldham.

Fifty years after Ellington wrote the suite, 27 year old Peter Edwards transcribes the suite from some scores and a record.


His dream is to perform the Queen's Suite to the Queen.



Monday 12 July 2010

Dad's Pride and an Inspiration to us all.


Speaking yesterday to Peter, I was told that his 72 year old dad has decided to spread the word about The Queen's Suite on Kickstarter to his friends, family and old work colleagues with a clip-board and pen in hand.
Augustine, George, Edwards, known as Eddy to some and Errol to old friends and family migrated to England from Grenada in the 60's. Settling in Ladbroke Grove for nine months he then moved to Mile End, Wembley and finally settled in Harrow in the 70s, where the family home has been ever since.
Eddy has a dry sense of humour, an all-encompassing smile and an immense sense of pride in his four children, of whom, Peter is the youngest. His love for his children and his wife, Sandrene, who he married in 1974 is evident.
His generosity extends to his children's friends. On the night before the last performance, I turned up late at the Edward's residence, equipment in hand to be collected by Eddy in his builders car.
The car is an extension of Eddy. Inside are clumps of earth, he is an avid gardener, the carrots, red potatoes, spinach, tomatoes, onions, leeks, aubergines, parsnips, and green beans grown in his garden are shared amongst friends and family.
Before retirement he worked as an electrician for BT, and he now works as a semi-retired electrician.
I was both humbled and inspired when Peter told me his dad had decided to collect funds for The Queen's Suite.
I spoke to him today to ask him how he was collecting funds. Eddy said,
'I've got my poster and I go and talk to people about it and ask them what they think, people I know. It's about how you approach people. Some people are not very interested, but I don't mind. I like talking about it and I talk to some people I know in the street, not everyone, just the people I know.
I'm going to ask my sister to help me and some of my friends too. I've got a list of names. A friend gave me £5 for him and £5 for his wife so I'm making a list of people. It's important to keep the names because one day we can put them to the Arts Council and maybe they might help us. You never know. I'm going to keep on trying.'
When I told Eddy we had 50 days he said, '50 days, well that's ok, plenty of time, we'll keep on trying.'
Oddly I am reminded of Billy Elliot's dad and friends, pooling together to enable Billy to realise his dream.
Eddy and his family and friends are far removed from Billy Elliot's fictional dad, relatives and family.
But both men and communities real and fictionalized have an immense sense of pride in their sons and will do their utmost to enable their dreams to become a reality.
EDDY IS AN INSPIRATION.
And a BIG THANK YOU to everyone who is supporting the Queen's Suite.
Visit us at http://kck.st/cbGGo1 we have some great 
goodies for everyone.

Corine

No comments:

Post a Comment